Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Assuming Names by Tanya Thompson

AnnMarie's Reviews

Book Review Corner

Assuming Names by Tanya Thompson





When it was over, there were a lot of questions. 

The detectives were embarrassed but they still wanted answered, "How did a 15-year-old runaway successfully pose as a world traveled countess?" 

The newspapers turned it back on them, practically sneering, "How did she do it while under investigation by the FBI, DEA, and Interpol?" 

The Mafia had been demanding the same thing for six months, "What is your real name?" 

And the psychologists asked the question they always ask, "Why?" 

It’s the why of it that will keep a girl in trouble. 

Assuming Names is the true story of a young con artist. It’s the tale of a runaway that assumed the title of Countess and then went on to fool the FBI, DEA, and Interpol—as well as a number of other celebrities and institutions—with an elaborate tale of world intrigue. 


A NOTE FROM THE AUTHOR: Hello everyone. This is Tanya. You may find yourself reading my book and saying, “No, this did not happen.” You may be inclined to say it is too far-fetched and, quite frankly, impossible. I have provided evidence at my website that what I write is the truth. I mention it at the front of the book but it may be easy to overlook, so I am reiterating here. 

At my website are copies of the newspaper and magazine articles mentioned in the book. The articles are from the Austin American Statesman, The Dallas Morning News, and Woman’s World Magazine. They are all nationally recognized media for news. Previous reviewers were concerned I may have gone to Photoshop to create them, and while my book does paint me as the sort that would do such a thing, the reality is that those media institutions would sue me into submission before the cache could be cleared. 

In the end, you may not believe me, but you can surely believe what the papers wrote.





Let us start off by saying that I love this book. It was overall very well written and extremely entertaining. I basically read it in two sittings. Love it.

In the foreword, the author explains that the compliment of beautiful is not nearly as good as the compliment of brilliant. This elicited two reactions. First, I was reminded of A Disreputable History of Frankie-Landeau Banks by E. Lockhart, which I loved. Second, I immediately felt a connection to the main character, because I completely agree.

Meet fifteen year old Tanya, who has the same issue as many teenagers. Boredom. But, Tanya has some interesting coping abilities, which lead to quite a few adventures that most teenagers will only ever read about. Only, they don’t stop when she’s done being a teenager.

As far as writing technique goes, I was extremely pleased. While there were a few issues here and there, like scene changes and the like, most of it is likely due to the fact that these events happened quite some time ago, and weren’t major. Or, I would not be surprised, that they were intentional, meant to give you a better understanding of the way Tanya’s brain functioned.


My Recommendation:

I absolutely loved this book. Adored it, even. I highly recommend anyone looking for an amusing and enjoyable read.

GET YOUR COPY TODAY!




AUTHOR LINKS


I give this title 4 out of 5 stars!


My rating: 


I give this book four stars, due to some of the confusion. But a very high four star.









No comments:

Post a Comment