Monday, August 18, 2014

The Silver Locket By Marie Fostino

Keli's Reviews

Book Review Corner

The Silver Locket By Marie Fostino


Synopsis



When Jennifer finds her daughter is not home from school yet, her past flashed before her eyes with the memories of Jacy, love, death and becoming a mother at the age of sixteen. 


People would stop Jenny and ask if the child she was with was her sister. "No this is my child." Yet the looks she got hurt her. She was 16 years old when her life changed forever. Despite being raised in a Christian home with strict religious values, some of her choices were careless, and they came with weighty consequences. 


A strange combination of sadness and joy overcome her when she turns back the clock. Names and faces float through her mind like ghosts that still haunted her but as always, a smile forms on her face and she remembers only love.


My Review



Going into this book, I was extremely excited. Between the beautiful cover and the title, I expected this to be a typical love story, possibly a Nicholas Sparks type thing, for young adults. After finishing, some might agree with that hypothesis, if you only look at the plot line and not the execution.

I am a grammar nazi, and I've done a fair bit of computer programming; meaning that it is extremely difficult for me to ignore the misuse of words and improper syntax. Fostino used “than” instead of “then” and “disrupt” instead of “erupt”. She also uses “as well” in place of “also” at the beginning of sentences, rather than at the end. All of this sounds trivial, but these things distract from the story. If my problems ended here, I’d put it to poor editing. But.

Another thing that got on my nerves was the naming of characters. Jenny and Jacy are a couple. Their daughter’s name is Janie. This, in my opinion, is something that could have been done much better in order to avoid confusion. Close friends named Susan and Sandra has the same effect. And honestly what’s with using your own name in your book? Really?

Despite all of this, I liked the plot line, truly. The main character Jenny, goes through a complete transformation after moving to Oklahoma, then again when she becomes pregnant, and yet again when she becomes a mother. Character development was good, however, I still had issues with the execution. Introducing the plot device of the train so early on was smart, though it was fairly predictable.

Overall, I was slightly disappointed, because I did not feel a close connection with the characters, because I was distracted with the errors. My last complaint is that throughout the book, I felt that I was constantly being told things. Jenny is depressed. Jenny feels this or that. This also goes for the other characters as well, because the POV jumped.

My recommendation:

If you’re not as stuck up as I am when it comes to grammar (thank my English teacher), this book could be extremely enjoyable. If the little things bother you, either be prepare yourself from the start or read something else.

My rating:    

The Silver Locket earns three diamonds, because while I was disappointed, I can easily see how others would not share my feelings.

ADD ON GOODREADS

BUY LINKS

AUTHOR LINKS







My rating for this title is 3 out of 5 stones!

Follow me on Facebook & Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment