Sunday, June 29, 2014

Still Guilty by Pat Simmons

AnnMarie's Reviews

Book Review Corner


Still Guilty by Pat Simmons

The Guilty series, Book #3

Christian ~ Urban ~ Romance

 
'Still Guilty' was the first book that I read in the 'Guilty' series by Pat Simmons, and throughout the whole book I kept forgetting that it wasn't the first book. Although there was a lot of back story, I felt that the story made sense as a stand alone as well. However, I am excited that I can go back and read the first 2 books so that I can read those back stories in detail.

From what I can tell, the Guilty series is about spiritual growth, love, forgiveness, and finding your happiness. There are no perfect happily ever afters, the reality is that there will be trials and tribulations that one must face in life to get to progress spiritually. Further, through faith and living your life in the Christian way, one can find a way to their own happiness, learn to be grateful for what they have, and accept what they don't or can't have.

'Still Guilty' was filled with rich African history, African-American history and the importance of church and family. Not only was the story well-written and obviously well-researched, Pat Simmons brought her characters to life by making them real, showing their weaknesses and faults along with their successes. I felt myself identifying with the characters throughout the story, but particularly with Cheney. Cheney had experienced a lot of pain in her life, and after finding her happiness, she was then faced with the burden of watching her loved ones struggle to find their own way. On top of all that, Cheney took on more heartache and trials even after finding her happiness, reminding me that life is not all just finding your way to 'Happy' and spending the rest of your life there, but rather facing the fact that one must continue to find their 'Happy' again and again as the seasons change and our faith is tested over and over again.

I am definitely going to be reading the rest of this series, and I look forward to any future books that are written for the Jamieson and Reynolds families. In particular, I would love to see Cheney's twin brother Rainey find his own happiness, as well as the rest of her family.


To learn more about Pat Simmons, check out her links!

Website | FacebookTwitter | Amazon | Goodreads

 
My recommendation for Still Guilty by Pat Simmons: The romance is sweet and clean, and this book has a strong Christian theme. Spiritual growth, love and family are center plot points in this book. If you are looking for something real that you can fall in love with, this is the book for you. Especially if you are looking for something that stays on the clean side of the romance genre. This book is also quite informative in black history, so be prepared to be amazed at the interesting history lessons you are sure to experience.

I gave 'Still Guilty' 4 out of 5 stars!



 


No comments:

Post a Comment