Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Book Review - Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle Mead

AnnMarie's Reviews


Book Review Corner

Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle Mead

(Age of X Series – Book 1)




I really did not know what to expect with the Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle mead, but I was pleasantly surprised. I will admit that at first I was uncertain since it felt like I was missing something. I even double and triple checked to make sure that I was reading the first book in the series and not the second. Since I trust Mead so much, I figured there was a good reason that I felt a little lost.

The story did seem to start off a bit slow since I didn’t know what the characters were referring to quite often, but after getting past the halfway mark I couldn’t put it down. Once Mead started to reveal all that was kept secret, piece by piece, everything started to come together. The fact that explanations were left out at first supports the perspective of the POV’s. The story is told through there current thoughts, not as is that are telling a story to the readers. For this reason, it makes perfect sense that the things we are confused about are not explained. When a person is thinking about what they are doing, how often to the explain what an iPhone is or that USA stands for the United States of America? We learned what we needed to know, when we needed to know it. To me, this added a little more mystery to the story that kept me coming back for more.

It’s always frustrating when you are in the heads of the characters so you know how they truly feel about at each other, and then the never say what you think they should to each other. It reminds me of love stories on TV shows, it seems like it take 10 years to get them to finally profess their love for each other, and then the shows end. Happily ever after cannot happen in the beginning of a series. No matter how much we want the characters to just stop being stupid and say what they should, it wouldn’t make for a great story line for the series. Even when characters do profess their love for each other in the beginning of a series, there is always something that keeps them apart. If readers get everything they want in the first book, then what would they expect to happen in the rest of the series?

I am definitely excited to read the next book in this series, and I am a little sad that I have to wait until next year. I hope that any readers who have not yet had the pleasure of reading this new series from Richelle Mead give it a chance with an open mind and enjoy it as much as I did.




To check out the Age of X series and others by Richelle Mead, click here!

My recommendation for Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle Mead: If you enjoy a little mystery about the plot, frustration with the relationship decisions of the central characters, this book is a perfect example. If you would rather learn everything up front and have little patience for characters making poor decisions when it comes to matters of the heart, then you may want to steer clear of this one. 


I give this title 5 out of 5 stars!



No comments:

Post a Comment